No longer are brick and wood the only building materials to choose from for commercial construction. The popularity of building with metal wall panels continues to increase as architects and commercial contractors become more aware of their benefits. Metal panels can be used for interior and exterior structural walls.
Metal is already a popular choice for roof panels and is a great choice for any new building project. It is durable, cost-effective, energy-efficient, and provides a clean, high-quality appearance.
What metals are used for wall panels? What are the benefits of metal as well as any downsides to its usage? If you are considering the use of metal materials in upcoming construction, then knowing the benefits of building with metal wall panels will aid in making an excellent choice.
Metals Used in Construction
Commercial building projects often use steel, but there are other types of metal that can be used.
- Stainless Steel
- Metal Composite Material
Insulated Metal Wall Panels
Insulated metal wall panels are one of the most cost-effective building materials available for a construction project. Great as a weather barrier for colder climates, insulated wall panels are comprised of two separate panels engulfing, or sandwiching, a foam core.
The insulated metal panels are not just for commercial construction but have versatility with a modern appearance, similar metal panels can be used for roofs, exterior, and interior walls.
Benefits of Metal Walls
Durability and Strength
Metal is strong and one of the toughest materials available. Having a projected lifespan of 50 years, metal provides a protective barrier between harsh elements such as fire, snow, and rain. Depending on which metal is used for construction and its level of hardness, walls can also protect again stronger forces of hail and wind. They also can have a protective coating as a barrier to corrosion.
Metal wall panels are eco-friendly and sustainable building materials. This helps reduce the carbon footprint and lessens the stress on the earth’s environment. Also important is that they are 100% recyclable.
Metal wall panel systems are diverse and are available in a wide range of color options which allows unique aesthetic appearances. You are not limited to specific patterns and have the freedom to express your design taste using shiny or matte finishes.
Panels afford you design flexibility being available in a range of flat and corrugated surfaces. Availability in multiple profiles that can be used in both horizontal and vertical designs. In addition to shiny and matte finishes, they are also available with applied finishes that give the appearance of wood, stucco, or other aesthetics.
The use of insulated metal panels in construction greatly reduces installation time. Since the panels can serve as the finished surface and provide the required thermal, air, and weather barriers need for exterior wall panels, it eliminates the need to use additional separate products. This also contributes to the affordability benefit because of the reduction of costs on installation.
Metal panel systems save money in more ways than just being an affordable option to use in construction. The cost-effectiveness manifests well after the building is completed.
- Metal wall insulation, as mentioned in the previous point, saves money on operating costs because of the improved thermal, acoustic, and fire protection performance.
- Ease of installation also makes the metal option cost-effective reducing construction costs. Costs are reduced based on installation time being much lower than construction with brick. Metal panels are also lightweight and do not require as much overall structural support reducing construction costs.
- Maintenance costs are low because of the metal wall panel’s durability and inherent strength.
- One saving you may not have considered is construction financing costs. The fact that installation is easy and quick, will allow you to occupy the structure faster or begin business operations more quickly.
After reviewing the range of benefits of metal wall panels, it is an understandable choice for design. These panels check most boxes when considering design flexibility, installation time and cost, ongoing maintenance, are environmentally friendly, and provide long-term performance.
The advantages significantly outweigh any disadvantages, but knowing all aspects helps you make an informed decision. There are only a few to mention and do not always cause a issue or happen at all, as these are rare in most cases and are usually covered by manufacture’s warranty.
- Pitting is a cosmetic imperfection that can be caused due to normal wear eroding the protective coating. The structural integrity is not affected.
- Oil canning is when there is the appearance of warping or waviness in the metal. It does not affect the structural integrity and is less likely to occur on flat plate metal wall panels.
- If different metals are combined in construction, it is possible for a negative interaction to occur resulting in water runoff and galvanic corrosion.
If you want to build with metal wall panels for residential or commercial construction, you should contact Country Towne Building Supply. Our expert team can help you create and bring to life whatever you envision for your new structure or project.
Country Towne Building Supply is committed to providing quality materials, affordable pricing, and outstanding customer service.